The Australian Labor Party is consulting the public on its draft national platform. The platform includes a section on Australian aid and international development. Â Submissions to the Draft National Platform are invited from individuals and organisations and must be received by 29 May 2015.
You can submit online here: http://www.alp.org.au/2015_draft_national_platform
It would be helpful if you could let us know if youâ€™ve submitted so that we can keep a tally. Â E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Possible points for your submission:
- We commend Labor for having a comprehensive policy on Australian aid and international development.
- We commend Labor for its recognition that the fundamental purpose of Australian aid is to reduce poverty and inequality, promoting sustainable development and protecting human rights.
- We commend Labor for its support of the Sustainable Development Goals and urge Labor to actively promote the implementation and financing of the Goals.
- We urge Labor to commit to achieving a funding target for the aid program of 0.7% of Gross National Income by 2030, commensurate with the Sustainable Development Goals.
- We urge Labor to make a more specific short-term commitment to restore the Australian aid budget to $5.5 billion during the life of the next parliament (2016-2019).
- We encourage Labor in Government to ensure Australian aid focuses on where there is greatest need, particularly in our greater region and where our aid can make the most difference.
- We encourage Labor in Government to ensure our aid program reduces inequality by targeting the poorest 40 percent of people in developing countries â€“ including disadvantaged groups such as women and girls, people with a disability, indigenous peoples and other marginalised groups.
- We encourage Labor in Government to commit to:
- Establishing an independent Office of Development Effectiveness to evaluate the effectiveness of Australiaâ€™s aid program
- Providing a mechanism for reporting to parliament on:
- the achievement of the purpose of the aid program
- the effectiveness of the program
- progress towards reaching the target for size of the aid program
- any reduction in the aid program from the previous yearâ€™s budget.
- Publishing an ODA Budget Statement covering country and thematic aid allocations annually with the May Federal Budget.
Full document is here. Â Australian Aid section is from page 209. https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/australianlaborparty/pages/2403/attachments/original/1430796114/2015_Consultation_Draft_Labor_National_Platform_1_.pdf